If you’re anything like me, the leap into small business ownership was more like a series of fluttering attempts, a few hiccups and hops, and then a timid jump…when I finally “felt ready.” Truth be told, it took a lot longer than it needed to, in part because of my fear and hesitation, which held me back much longer than it should have. Admittedly, there was also a big gap in my professional presentation as a business owner, which sent mixed messages to my clients, and quite frankly, to me. At some point, I had to face the music, level up as a freelancer and embrace my future as a small business owner. It was time to be the real deal.
What does that mean exactly? Well, first, we’re talking about shift in mindset.
Do you remember when you first stepped out on your own? Maybe you were like me, timidly taking on a private “side job,” which I communicated over email, with no contract or business license. I was just working a quick hustle for some extra cash, which came however they wanted it to, whenever they wanted it to. A check here, cash there, PayPal over here…before the job, during the job, after the job. There was no rhyme or reason, no method to my madness.
Did I make those choices because I was a sloppy copy writer or because I didn’t value my clients or their experience? No. Most of those choices were made because I didn’t value myself. I was “just a freelancer” and didn’t believe that I was capable of wearing the title of “business owner.” So I didn’t take the time or energy to put the systems in place that really allowed me to take ownership of my professional path. Yes, my clients were happy. I was happy. But my growth quickly plateaued. I pigeon holed myself as a side hustle instead of cultivating my reputation as an entrepreneur.
What would I have done differently?
- Take it seriously. I should have immediately applied for a business license, making sure I had all of the proper certifications in place. My next stop should have been a lawyer, where I would have created top notch contracts that set the standard for relationships grounded in excellence and professionalism.
- Get organized. I should have clearly defined my products and services, pricing and payment terms. A well-developed workflow with appropriate systems in place would have set expectations on my time and my daily routine, which would have saved me the stress and chaos of trying to meet unrealistic deadlines while phoning it in as a mom.
- Communicate effectively. Without the appropriate systems in place, my communication with my clients and my team suffered. Projects fell through the cracks, invoices didn’t get paid – in short, I set myself and everyone around me up for failure, because I didn’t have a grasp on the business that was growing with or without my belief in myself as the owner.
How can you avoid making the same mistakes that I did?
Fix it. Today! The buck stops here. The very first thing you need to do is take a good long look at yourself in the mirror and repeat after me. “I am a business owner. This is my business and I am responsible for the decisions that will make or break it. I am capable, talented and driven. It’s time to stop dancing around my fears and make it happen. Go get it done. I can do this.”
Next step is to tackle the three areas I mentioned above. Where? How? Why?
The great news…we have a whole slew of programs available to choose from when it comes to implementing the procedures, reporting metrics and systems that will help us thrive as entrepreneurs.
The bad news…we have a whole slew of programs available to choose from when it comes to implementing the procedures, reporting metrics and systems that will help us thrive as entrepreneurs.
I want to help you drive towards the most powerful tool that can level up your business with ease, efficiency and most importantly, clarity and purpose as THE owner (that’s you!). Say hello to my friends at Spera!
It’s time for a list. These are a few of my favorite things!
- Spera was created by independent contractors for independent contractors. That’s right! They went straight to the source – people just like you! How does it feel when you invest in something only to utilize 10% of it? Bad! Spera took the time to ask the right questions to the right people, and then, they acted on it, developing a platform that has what you need, when you need it, where you need it. How does it feel to invest in something that is 100% designed just for you? It feels pretty darn amazing.
- Spera is an all-in-one virtual office. And that’s what you need as a business owner. An office! Many small business owners fail to implement the proper systems because they are frustrated by having to hop from tool to tool to tool. That’s like setting up your office but then having to go to the kitchen to grab your invoices, to the bathroom to print your contracts and to the garage to meet your clients. Now, you have one place where you can manage your client experience from start to finish.
- Functional Task Management – Communicate with your team and your clients, set expectations on your time and make sure projects never fall through the cracks again.
- Customizable Invoices – Professional invoices that present your expertise and your brand with excellence, letting your clients know that you mean business!
- Secure Payment Portals – Track incoming payments, pay invoices, send/receive money and give your clients a simple one-click option directly in their invoice. No more chasing checks.
- Spera offers a FREE complete 30 day trial. That’s right…an all access pass for an entire month. If you’re still hesitant about claiming your power and position as a small business owner, that’s ok. You can ease your way into it and give it a try! Once you access the possibility of life as an organized, professional business owner, you’ll crash through the door of opportunity and wonder…why in the world didn’t I do this sooner?