You know I’ve been pushing quick and easy recipes lately (did you visit our never-ending link up?!) in an effort to improve the meal situation at my house after a long day of work and two starving and exceptionally grumpy twin boys. So when friend and fellow working mom, Samantha, from ReadySetEat offered to share an awesomely tasty chicken burrito skillet recipe with us to give working moms another option in their menu arsenal, I answered with a resounding “YES!!!!” This chicken burrito skillet is right up my alley. Seriously, my kind of meal. Everything mixed together, a bit of kick and lots of yummy cheese. Super tasty dinner for the win! Thank you Samantha! And a big thanks to our friends at ReadySetEat, who make it their mission to inspire folks on the go with easy, quick prep, 30 minutes or less recipe options for weeknight meal planning.
As a working mom expecting another baby this summer, I crave all things simple – including dinner. I’m usually one to experiment in the kitchen, trying different techniques and flavor combinations, but lately, I don’t have time for over-complicating a good meal. This Chicken Burrito Skillet has become one of my go-to easy dinner recipes for those crazy week nights when preparing a fancy meal is just not an option. It’s kid-friendly, easy to toss together and has that great South-of-the-Border taste my family loves.
What you’ll need:
- 2 tbsp. Canola Oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
- ½ c. chopped yellow onion
- 1 ½ tbsp. taco seasoning mix (from 1.25-oz pkg)
- 15 oz. (1 can) Rosarita® Premium Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 10 oz. (1 can) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
- 1 c. water
- 1 ¼ instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
The great part about this recipe is that you can easily change up the ingredients depending on what you’re in the mood for. For an added kick, I like to mix in some fresh chopped jalapenos or top it with some hot sauce. To get a sweeter taste, try adding diced avocado and fresh mango. (I’m not a huge fan of cilantro, but my husband always loves to sprinkle a generous amount on top).
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook 3 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- Add onion and taco seasoning; cook 2 minutes
- Add black beans, undrained tomatoes and water; stir and bring to a boil.
- Mix in rice. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in ½ c. cheese. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
This recipe is courtesy of Samantha K. of Chicago, IL. She’s a young working mom who lives with her husband, 2-year-old son and dog, Chip. She writes on behalf of ReadySetEat, is addicted to sriracha and is thrilled to be expecting her second baby this summer!